Copyright © February 2010
Does your child or the child of someone you know and love display hyperactivity symptoms? Do they have trouble staying focused? Have they been diagnosed or has it been suggested that it may be ADHD? Whatever your reason for reading this article, buckle your seatbelt and get ready to unhook from the mainstream ideas about ADHD and these gifted children.
Did you know that an estimated 5-10% of children ages 6-17 have been “diagnosed” with ADHD. It is also estimated that 2.5 million or more children are on drugs to manage the symptoms of ADHD. Why are the numbers so high and constantly increasing? Why do so many children have a brain that is different and labeled as ADHD? Have you ever asked these questions?
We live in a time when everything is moving very quickly. Information is multiplying at a rate of approximately 66% per year as of studies done a few years ago. Some estimates state that by 2013 information on the Internet will double approximately every 72 hours. Change is the only constant.
Multi-tasking has been adopted as a way of coping to try to keep up with all that is going on around us and in our busy lives. By multi-tasking, an entire population is trying to adapt and do what the ADHD brain does naturally.
The ADHD brain is the brain of the future and it is here now. ADHD is the new normal. I believe we are witnessing Darwin’s theory of evolution and natural selection in action. We are part of the history of evolution in the making! How exciting is this?
With 5-10% of the population of our youth with ADHD – not counting adults with an ADHD brain – it has reached or is about to reach critical mass or the tipping point. In his book, The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference, Malcolm Gladwell states that a tipping point is “the level at which the momentum for change becomes unstoppable.”
According to Charles Darwin’s Theory of Evolution and Natural Selection, natural selection is nature’s way of preserving new traits in a species that at first may seem like genetic mutations. In this case, a new brain to help us thrive and keep up with the way life has sped up. We must change our collective mindset about ADHD, treat this brain right and teach the children how to adapt in healthy and natural ways.
Did you know Albert Einstein had ADHD? One of Albert’s elementary school teachers told Albert’s father that it did not matter what Albert did because he would never amount to anything. Well, we all know the story of Albert Einstein.
There are nutritional, behavioral and other supportive solutions once you know specifically what your ADHD child needs. Here are a few tips:
- Have your child tested for food allergies. Eating foods that create an allergic reaction (no matter how mild) will spike the symptoms of ADHD. Once determined, tell everyone including family, friends, teachers, etc. so they can help support healthy eating habits when you’re not available.
- Test for a neurotransmitter imbalance. Find a doctor who believes in natural solutions for the treatment of ADHD. This is a simple urine analysis test. These tests are available on-line, but DO NOT treat your child yourself. Seek the help of a trusted health care practitioner who is well versed in the use of natural supplements for the treatment of neurotransmitter imbalances. Also, if your child is on medication, check with your trusted health care professional who believes in natural solutions as a compliment to drugs before making any changes. Often the medication doses can be lowered or eliminated under medical supervision once natural solutions have been used consistently.
- Minimize toxity! This is important for everyone, not just children with an ADHD brain. Eat organic whenever possible to avoid additives such as hormones, preservatives, chemicals, processed sugar and elusively named ingredients. In addition, recent research shows that chemicals from plastic bottles seep into the contents of the container and act as estrogen in our bodies.
- A regular detox protocol is essential! Not all detox products are created equally, however. Choose one with a chelating agent in it and be sure to drink the recommended 8 glasses of water to flush the toxins out of the body as quickly as possible.
- Work with a Coach to help you and your child get and stay on track with your new healthy lifestyle choices. Improved habits, self-esteem and focus are only some of the benefits you will receive.
Enjoy being part of history-in-the-making and choose healthy solutions for your child! I invite you to visit my website at www.thegiftofyou.com to learn more.
As a professional Life Wellness Coach and Behavior Modification Specialist, Cheryl Healey provides proven natural solutions for the symptoms of ADHD. Cheryl is the author of ADHD: The Bigger Picture – Understanding and Choosing the Best Drug-Free Options for Your Child and founder of the Facebook group entitled “ADHD Children”.